Rosacea is a chronic skin condition that affects up to 10% of adults, causing redness on the face and neck. The cause of the condition is unknown, and as of yet there is no cure. However, symptoms can be managed with a wide variety of treatments, including IPL. But what is an IPL treatment? And how can this be effective for Rosacea?
What is an IPL treatment?
IPL stands for Intense Pulsed Light, and this is a type of facial treatment that uses light wavelengths that are pulsed into the skin. Once the light reaches the skin, the light energy becomes heat energy that can be used to target and remove particular skin cells. This even includes hair cells, for removing unwanted hair. By focusing on a particular area and removing skin cells that are damaged, or causing damage, the cell rejuvenation process will be triggered, allowing new skin cells to replace the old. And unlike laser treatment, IPL can target a wider area at a time for faster results across the facial skin.
How can IPL treatments reduce the symptoms of Rosacea?
IPL treatments for Rosacea can be used to help reduce, control and manage the symptoms in a number of ways, including:
- Reabsorption of facial veins- When the red thread veins absorb the energy from the IPL they become hot which causes a minimal amount of damage, allowing the body to reabsorb the veins. This can significantly improve the appearance of facial veins and help to fade the veins themselves.
- Improving blood flow- When the IPL reaches the collagen in the skin, this warms the collagen fibres and triggers the production of more new collagen cells. This then also encourages collagen remodeling and improves the support of the small blood vessels. In addition, this can even delay the development of new thread veins.
What are the benefits of IPL treatments for Rosacea?
Opting for IPL treatments for your rosacea can bring a range of advantages and benefits, including:
- Gentler treatment option- IPL treatments for Rosacea are an option that is more gentle on the skin. When compared to chemical peels, which will target the outer layers of skin, across the whole facial area, or microneedling which involves lots of little injections to cause damage to the skin, it is clear that using lightwaves to target the red thread veins, within the skin, is a more gentle option for the skin in general.
- Sensitive skin- On top of being a more gentle treatment option in general, IPL treatments are also suitable for sensitive skin, and can even reduce skin sensitivity too. This makes IPL treatments perfect for those who can tolerate the acidic nature of a chemical peel.
- Target a variety of Rosacea types- Rosacea symptoms can be very varied and wide ranging, with the symptoms and effects occurring at different skin depths, and not just at the surface of the skin. IPL treatments can target those deeper within the skin, as well as those near the surface, and with a range of settings can be used very effectively for reducing all Rosacea symptoms.
Preston’s leading IPL specialists
Here at the Skin and Wellbeing Clinic we are Preston’s leading IPL specialists. For more information about how our team of qualified, registered nurses can deliver aesthetic treatments to help control the symptoms of your Rosacea, get in touch today.