Wrinkles and Lines
Wrinkles and lines are a part of aging that unfortunately everybody will experience at some stage in life. They are unpreventable and, although everybody’s skin ages at different rates and severities, are inevitable to us all. There are two main types of wrinkles and lines:-
- Dynamic Wrinkles – lines caused by repeated facial movements (such as smiling and frowning), which over time form permanent creases in the skin. These tend to become most visible on the forehead and around the eyes and mouth.
- Static Wrinkles – lines that are caused from the skin losing elasticity and collagen (which occurs when we age), causing less structure to the skin which, with the help of gravity, eventually leads folds and sagging. These tend to be most visible in the lower face and neck, such as the cheeks and corners of the mouth sagging/folding.
What can we do about wrinkles and lines?
Unfortunately we are all destined to get wrinkles and lines on our face as we age, but there are many ways to help delay the process and reduce the depth of wrinkles, which are best to be followed before permanent wrinkles and lines are formed.
- Daily sun protection – Alot of visible skin aging is caused by sun damage. The damage caused to the skin by UV exposure causes collagen and elastin to break down which leads to sagging and wrinkles. Use a minimum SPF 30 to exposed areas of skin even on cloudy dull days.
- Quit smoking! – Smoking is a big factor in causing creases and dull complexion because it effects the bodies ability to circulate oxygen to the skin, which it needs to heal and form healthy skin cells. The repetitive movement of the lips pursing around a cigarette also causes many creases around the mouth.
- Eat a balanced diet – full of vitamins and antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables, and drink plenty water to keep skin hydrated.
- Reduce stress – stress causes a release of Cortisol in the body, which if regularly occurs can break down collagen and elastin leading to sagging. Ways of reducing Cortisol include exercising and getting enough quality sleep.
The above are just a few factors that contribute to the formation of lines and wrinkles but ultimately there is a huge range of factors all contributing in different ways that cause peoples skin to age the way it does.
Although lines and wrinkles are unpreventable, they ARE treatable. The appearance of lines and wrinkles on the face can be reduced and improved with a number of cosmetic treatments.
Anti wrinkle injections (known as botox) are one of the most effective ways to treat wrinkles. Done in a matter of minutes, they soften and flatten out wrinkles to the upper face, with results in as little as days, and lasting months (you can see why this is such a popular treatment!). Anti wrinkle injections are suitable for people of all ages (over the age of 18), and can be used both as a treatment and a preventative of lines and wrinkles.
Dermal fillers are also another very effective way of treating wrinkles, as they fill in wrinkles and lines and give the skin its plump youthful appearance it once had before aging took hold.
Microneedling treats wrinkles and lines of the whole face, reaching areas that some other treatments (such as anti-wrinkle injections) cannot, such as under the eyes. It also gives skin a plumper, youthful, glowing appearance after just a few sessions.
Chemical peels are a great non-invasive way of tackling finer lines and wrinkles, and leaving skin looking radiant. Great for any age (over 16 years) as a preventative and treatment of lines.
We offer all these treatments at the Skin and Wellbeing Clinic. For more information on these treatments check out the treatments section of the website.