Here at the Skin and Wellbeing Clinic, we are Preston’s leading providers of dermal fillers, and a range of other treatment options including chemical peels and laser hair removal. As a result, we understand the complexities of the ageing process, and also the most effective solutions. That’s why we have produced this guide to dermal filler treatments in your 50’s and above.
How does the face change as part of the ageing process?
As we age, there are several changes that noticeably effect the facial area. These include:
- Loss of facial volume- a loss of facial volume occurs for a couple of reasons, most noticeably in the middle and lower parts of the face. First of all, facial fat pads higher up the face start to shrink. This can change the shape of your face. In addition, collagen found throughout the skin starts to decrease in volume, as the body slows down collagen production.
- Increased appearance of lines and wrinkles- as the skin loses volume, it also loses elasticity. This makes it more difficult for skin to stretch and move as you form facial expressions, and natural facial movements. As a result, lines or folds in the skin appear more prominent, as the skin remains in the one single area.
- Sagging skin- sagging skin is caused by the movement and change in facial fat pads, and the loss of skin volume, particularly around the jawline.
What are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are a popular and effective treatment option for fighting the signs of ageing. And while these may be commonly used by many people from the age of 20 onwards, they can also be very effective in your 50’s and beyond.
Dermal fillers are injections of hyaluronic acid into specific facial areas to add volume. This hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance, found throughout the human body, but found in larger quantities within the skin. Here it plays an important role in hydrating and nourishing the body. But, as with other substances, the body slows down production of this as part of the ageing process. Replacing this hyaluronic acid replaces volume in particular areas, and as it is naturally occurring, it will be used up by the body over time, making top-up treatments necessary.
What are the advantages of dermal fillers in your 50’s?
There are a number of advantages to choosing dermal filler treatments in your 50’s. These include:
- Reducing the appearance of wrinkles- with small amounts of dermal filler injected into the lines and creases of facial wrinkles, the visual appearance of these can be dramatically reduced. This is because the volume inside the line is increased to the right level to leave your skin smoother and softer.
- Increasing volume- this is the primary aim of dermal filler treatment, as these injections can restore lost volume to key facial areas, including the lips, jawline and cheeks. This can help to restore a youthful appearance and fight the signs of ageing, like hollowing and sagging skin.
For more information or advice, why not book a consultation today, with the experts here at The Skin and Wellbeing Clinic?