When it comes to fighting the signs of ageing, recent research suggests that treatments can have dramatic effects beyond altering only the visual appearance of the skin. In fact, in one particular piece of research, scientists discovered that dermal fillers not only soften lines and add structure to the face, but that these can also help make your facial expressions more youthful too. So what does this mean for your facial treatments? Well, here at the Skin and Wellbeing Clinic, we are Preston’s leading aesthetic practitioners. And we can offer a range of professional, high quality facial treatments and procedures, including dermal fillers. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about dermal fillers and facial expressions.
Research into the effect of dermal fillers on facial expressions
In February 2020, research into the effect of dermal fillers on the youthfulness of facial expressions was published. This study involved:
- Providing dermal filler treatments to a group of thirty women, aged between 41 and 65. The treatment was directed at nasolabial folds (lines between the nose and the corners of the mouth) and marionette lines (lines from the corners of the mouth down into the chin).
- Before the treatment, the facial movements and expressions of these women were videoed.
- After the treatment, forty-two days later, the women were again filmed creating these facial expressions.
- Both sets of videos were compared to similar recordings from a group of 25 to 35 year olds, who had received no treatment.
- Researchers then created a heat map of the face in three dimensions, showing muscle and skin movement and strain around the mouth area.
What is the relationship between dermal fillers and facial expressions?
While the dermal fillers had an obvious visual impact on the nasolabial folds and marionette lines, making these softer and less noticeable, this was not the main focus of the study. Instead, the researchers were focused on the mechanics of the facial movement and any changes.
By evaluating and assessing the facial movement and expression video content, the researchers were able to compare precise movements with those made by women in the 25-35 category, using heat mapping. As a result, they discovered that after dermal filler treatment, the patients had facial movement dynamics which more closely resembled those of younger women, especially in the marionette line region, where there was a significant reduction in strain.
What does this mean for you?
These results mean that if you choose a dermal filler aesthetic treatment for nasolabial folds and marionette lines, you can expect:
- noticeably softer expression lines
- less facial strain when moving
- more youthful facial expressions
As a result, you wont just look younger for photographs and images, your face will also move in a much more youthful way too.
For more information about professional, high quality dermal filler procedures in Preston, or to find out more about what we can offer, get in touch with the team today, here at The Skin and Wellbeing Clinic.