Here at The Skin and Wellbeing clinic, we are Preston’s leading aesthetic treatment providers, and we offer a range of aesthetic procedures, including dermal filler treatments, as well as fat dissolving injections and laser hair removal. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about dermal filler treatments for nasolabial folds.
What are nasolabial folds?
Nasolabial folds are the creases that run from each side of the nose down to the corners of the mouth, separating the cheeks from the upper lip. These are a natural and prominent part of the face, and they appear when we lift the corners of our mouths in a smile or a laugh. As a result, these lines are often called laughter lines.
What causes nasolabial folds to become more pronounced?
While nasolabial folds are a common facial feature, these can become deeper and more pronounced over time. There are a number of factors that can effect this, including:
- Sun damage – sun and UV damage can cause lines and wrinkles to appear deeper and more pronounced, and the nasolabial folds are no exception. This is because the UV rays cause damage to the skin tissue on a cellular level, and leave skin dehydrated, accentuating and deepening wrinkles.
- Smoking – smoking causes skin to weaken in strength and elasticity. In areas around the mouth and the lower third of the face, especially the nasolabial folds, the effect can be significant. This loss of elasticity prevents facial skin from moving back into its natural position, and forces the development of lines and creases.
- Ageing – as a natural part of the ageing process, the skin loses collagen. Collagen is a substance that is responsible for giving skin its volume and plumpness. When the volume is lost, the skin around the cheeks in particular can sag. This draws the skin down, and really emphasizes the nasolabial folds, making these much more pronounced.
What are the advantages of dermal filler treatments for nasolabial folds?
Dermal fillers are one of the most effective treatments for these particular lines and creases. The advantages of choosing dermal fillers for nasolabial folds include:
- Replacing lost volume – dermal fillers are injections of hyaluronic acid into the skin tissue. This is a naturally occurring substance that is found throughout the body, but is particularly concentrated in the skin, where it is responsible for binding to water molecules and hydrating and nourishing the skin cells. This is essential for both collagen and elastin to function. However, as part of the ageing process, the production of hyaluronic acid slows down and as a result the skin loses volume. Replacing the hyaluronic acid around the nasolabial folds and higher up in the cheeks can replace this lost volume and restore facial structure.
- Fast and effective – the whole procedure for nasolabial folds will take less than one hour, and you will be able to see results in just a few days. The fillers are also long lasting, with top ups only required every 6 to 12 months.
For more information or advice, get in touch with the team today, here at the Skin and Wellbeing Clinic, Preston’s leading aesthetic practitioners.