Lines and wrinkles are some of the earliest and most noticeable signs of ageing, especially around the mouth. Lines leading from the corners of the lips are common, but how can these be treated? Well, here at the Skin and Wellbeing Clinic, we are Preston’s leading aesthetic practitioners. And we can offer a range of professional, high quality facial treatments and procedures, including dermal fillers. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about dermal fillers and oral commissure lines.
What are oral commissures?
Oral commissures are the corner of the mouth, at the point where the upper and lower lips meet. As a natural part of the ageing process, lines can develop around this area of the face, leading from the oral commissures. Often these lines cause the lips to turn downwards at the edges, which can make you look sad or angry, even when you’re not.
What causes oral commissure lines?
Lines in this area can be caused by a number of factors, including:
- Natural ageing – as a natural part of the ageing process, the skin loses collagen and elastin, which are vital components of facial structure. Without collagen and elastin, the facial skin can begin to sag while also losing elasticity, and lines and creases will appear. Around the edges of the mouth, these can be particularly defined, as facial fat pads in the cheek move lower down the face.
- Overactive facial muscles – when we smile, frown or laugh, the muscles around the mouth move and over time, this repeated action can cause the development of expression lines and wrinkles around the oral commissures.
Genetics, smoking, and UV exposure can also each play a key role in the development of these lines and wrinkles.
Advantages of choosing dermal fillers for oral commissures
There are a number of advantages and benefits to choosing dermal fillers to correct lines around the oral commissures, or to prevent these from occurring altogether. These advantages include:
- Replacing lost volume – dermal fillers are injections of hyaluronic acid into the skin, which is a naturally occurring substance. This bonds to water molecules helping to nourish and hydrate the skin, while also replacing lost volume. This can help to restructure the facial skin, and lift areas of sagging skin, dramatically reducing the appearance of lines around the oral commissures.
- Natural results – by using small amounts of dermal filler in targeted parts of the oral commissure area, you can be sure of natural results that suit your facial shape and structure.
- Non surgical procedure – dermal fillers are the perfect, non-surgical option for any lines and wrinkles around the mouth area. Not only do these provide great visual results, but they also do not require hospital time, or a lot of down time either. In fact, you can get on with the rest of your day, as soon as the procedure is over.
For more information or advice, get in touch with Preston’s leading dermal filler experts, here at the Skin and Wellbeing Clinic.